I usually like to share thrifty decorating solutions.
This was one occasion when we decided we'd rather spend
a little money and save a lot of time and effort.
The product I used for my wood plank wall
is v groove wood planks by
sold in packs of 6 eight foot long planks.
Our wall is 11 feet wide by 8 feet tall
or 88 square feet, so we bought seven packs.
I also bought three small cans of wood stain,
a light shade, a dark shade and gray.
The light shade was golden oak.
Don't buy this unless you're going for the color of mustard. Blech!
I usually buy Minwax stain, but I decided to give the Rustoleum a try.
I liked it. Especially the gray.
I stained all of the boards, brushing the stain on, letting it sit a couple of minutes,
then wiped off the excess.
Some I just used the gray stain, some the dark. For some I dry brushed the dark over the gray
and others I stained dark then brushed the gray over.
I was just going for old looking and
wanted quite a bit of variation in colors.
according to color.
The foreman was present, to make sure the job was done right,
Mitch did the first few rows, before he had to go to work and I finished it up.
He started by finding the studs to determine where we would nail,
but these guys are so light, you don't really have to hit a stud.
we just knew we wanted it to look random, no pattern.
He used a coping saw, but said a utility knife would probably work.
We attached them to the wall with an air powered stapler. (from Harbor Freight)
The boards are tongue and grove so they lock together.
I was able to put up several rows before actually securing
them to the wall,
That allowed me to be sure I was happy with the layout.
We started at the floor and luckily it worked out
that I was able to finish with a full sized board at the ceiling.
The only place we had to cut the width of the boards was just above and below the window.
Mitch made those cuts and used a box cutter.
The back of the planks have channels or grooves you can follow for cutting.
You can see in the photo below, the piece above the window
is pretty thin and it broke before I got it installed.
I taped it together and kept installing,
Once it was all up we removed the tape
and patched it with wood putty.
It blended right in.
with my plan. Shhh, don't tell him I said that.
Don't mind the saw on the floor and the ladder in the corner.
We can't seem to find the light fixtures we
purchased at IKEA.
It's a bit of a mess around here.
an extra little push to forge ahead.
It's nice to see my vision coming to life.
Sharing is fun! Check out these parties~