I'll tell you a little more about the range hood cover. It was constructed entirely from scraps and left-overs and though Holly showed it can be done by a girl, this girl left the sawing to the man of the house. First I showed him Holly's wonderful instructions, and also showed him another cover constructed using those same instructions to give him proof it could be done. And done quite beautifully. He studied the situation and scratched his head for a few minutes then got down to work.
He removed the hood. This required turning off the power at the breaker, turning a few screws and unplugging a couple of wires.
This left a big ugly hole above my stove.
Notice the lovely wallpaper that was back there and where I stopped painting the cabinets. He didn't make that big hole in the sheet rock. I guess the guys who put the range hood in when the house was built did that.
He took the hood out to his shop and cut off the portion that sticks out using this really cool air powered cutting tool. We didn't have any sparks like Rebecca, Nathaniel and their friend Dwayne but we did get a neat curly piece of metal. This tool cut through that metal like butter.
Then he ground down the sharp edges.
He put the stubby hood back in place.
Then using L brackets he screwed a wooden cornice to the face of the hood.
I'm very sorry I didn't get a picture of the next couple of steps, but this is the basic frame work. To this he added a board that is the face of the cover and attached the trim pieces to that board. The top trim is some chair rail that was removed during another project. The bottom got some left-over rope trim from like was used on the bottom of the cabinets. The beadboard is wallpaper scraps I had left from when I did the bar.